USIM Facebook Pixel

For Agents: CEA Renters Earthquake Insurance Policies

Are you customers ready for the next earthquake? 

CEA renters earthquake insurance policies provides the strength your customers need to recover from a damaging earthquake.  

Talk to your customer about the CEA earthquake-coverage options that fit their needs and budget. And use our premium calculator to help get them a quick earthquake insurance price estimate. 
Did you know?
A standard renters policy doesn’t cover earthquake damage.

Even if your customer’s landlord has earthquake insurance, their policy won’t cover your customer. A CEA policy can help pay for damages to your customer’s stuff and protect them for additional living expenses if they need to move out. 

CEA renters coverage options*  

Emergency Repairs -

Emergency Repairs

Learn More
Handy coverage when your customer needs to make urgent, necessary repairs after an earthquake to help protect their unit from further damage, such as plywood to board up damaged windows.
Breakables -


More Info
Useful coverage if glassware, crystal, china, ceramic, pottery, porcelain, or marble items are broken because of an earthquake.
Loss of Use -

Loss of Use

Learn More
A necessity for additional living expenses if your customer must live outside their home because of earthquake damage or as directed by a civil authority. This coverage never has a deductible.
Personal Property -

Personal Property

Learn More
Coverage to repair or replace your customer's covered personal belongings if they are damaged in an earthquake.

Get more details about our renters policy coverages and deductibles.  

Download an Earthquake Insurance for Renters Brochure (PDF) or order policy brochures online.

Ready to sell a CEA policy?

*We encourage you to read the entire CEA policy—and its policy declarations page—to understand coverages and how they work. Exclusions and special limits apply. All terms and conditions of CEA insurance coverage are found in the CEA insurance-policy form. Refer to a sample policy, below. 

Renters Policy Sample (PDF) 
Optional Endorsement - Coverage for Breakables (PDF)

Learn more by taking a free agent training course. Once you pass, you’ll earn 2 CE credits and become part of our special Marketing Value Program!  

Renters FAQs

Q. How does the deductible work for CEA’s renters policies?
A. Your insured does not have to pay their deductible out of pocket to receive payment on a claim. The deductible is subtracted from their covered damage, so they don’t have to pay any of the deductible up front before receiving their claim payment. And remember that Loss of Use never has a deductible.
Q. Does a CEA renters policy cover more than personal property?
A. Yes! A CEA renters policy includes personal property coverage, along with loss of use coverage and emergency repairs coverage. Emergency Repairs will cover up to $1,000 to make your insured’s home safe, such as repairing broken windows or removing broken glass. And Loss of Use pays for the additional living expenses necessary to maintain your insured’s normal standard of living, up to the coverage limit they selected. And it never has a deductible! 
Q. Is my client at risk from an earthquake?
A. There are thousands of known faults in California, and scientists continue to discover new ones. Since earthquakes can happen anywhere in California, damage to your client’s rental home and personal property, and that damage forcing them to move out, is always possible. Check to see earthquake risk near you and your client and help them take steps to get prepared, which includes purchasing the best earthquake policy to meet their needs and budget.
Q. How can I help my renter client choose the best CEA earthquake policy for their needs and budget?
A. Use CEA’s premium calculator for agents to help your client who rents find a policy that works best for them. You can play around with coverage limits and deductible options to make sure they have the personal property and loss of use coverage that fits their needs.

Calculate Your Earthquake Insurance Premium

801 K Street, Suite 1000
Sacramento, CA 95814

Phone: (916) 325-3800
Toll Free: (877) 797-4300

©2018 California Earthquake Authority

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  | Site Map